I ended up with a seven step process. To practice, I put together a packet of six of my personal favorite poems. We went through the packet together, in groups, individually, etc. until I felt confident that my students were getting it. Then, I gave them a pop quiz using the same process! I have put this packet on my Teachers Pay Teachers account for free, so go download it and use it! One thing that isn't on TPT, though, is the Google Presentation I used with the packet. You can check that out here!
Here are the seven steps:
- Number the lines in each poem, and label the rhyme scheme if there is one.
- Read the poem several times. Circle any unknown words.
- Summarize each stanza.
- Annotate the poem by noticing and labeling any literary devices, figurative language, symbolism, imagery, etc.
- Identify the major theme of the poem, and provide evidence to support your choice.
- Identify your favorite line or phrase from the poem, and explain why you chose it as your favorite.
- Choose one of the unknown words you circled and develop a definition (in your own words!) based on context clues from the poem.